Thursday, 29 November 2012

Mr Dduckbocki Miss Kkochi, Strathfield - Sydney [CLOSED]

I bet you didn't know about this place.
IMG_7414
Ddeokbokki (rice cakes in chili sauce)

Mr Dduckbocki Ms Kkochi is quite handful name for a humble restaurant like this, but once you know it, you'll probably remember it, either for its tongue-slip-inducing attribute or for good Korean feed it has to offer.

IMG_7160
Mr Dduckbocki & Miss Kkochi, Strathfield

The first time I laid my eyes on this joint was when a friend posted a photo of a plate full of ddeokbokki (Korean rice cakes in spicy chilli sauce) and it looked exactly like the ones I see in dramas. I made an oath right away to visit the restaurant they dined at, and after some research and some help from Google map I finally found it.

The place is tucked among the others Korean shops, groceries, bakeries, and restaurants. It offers mainly Korean snacks, but they also have limited choices of heavier meals containing rice or noodles.

ddeokkochi1
Menu

I'm most interested with the arrays of Korean snacks, of course. There's a large metal pan heating the cooked ddeokbokki, which looks glamorous with its red, thick sauce. There are also some items in skewers, along with kimbap (Korean sushi roll) hot box.

IMG_7422
Ddeokbokki pan

The ddeokbokki (rice cakes in spicy chilli sauce) here is very admirable. The chewy rice cakes are cooked perfectly, the sauce is at the perfect consistency and it has some heat punches as well. The small portion of ddeokbokki can feed two people, I reckon. Unless if your stomach is (almost like) bottomless pit like mine. I downed this portion easily.

IMG_7415
Ddeokbokki (rice cakes in chilli sauce) small - $4

This is probably one of the food ideas I'm most grateful for: deep fried sushi roll. But they use kimbap (Korean rice rolls with various fillings) here. The thin batter is still crunchy, and the kimbap itself is really good.

IMG_7416
Deep fried kimbap/sushi roll - $3

Deep fried dumpling (twigim mandoo) is one of my fav Korean snacks, but these one are soggy, obviously aren't fresh from the fryer. I can forgive this because they gave me a small bowl of fish stock soup which goes really well with everything, especially with the ddeokbokki.

IMG_7417
Deep fried dumpling (twigim mandoo) - $2.5

My second visit was with me feeling hungrier than I was on my first visit. So I had to order a heavier dish this time.

Meatball, sausage and rice cakes stick really made a great starter. My fav part is the meatball, which is the crunchiest and the tastiest. The gochujang sauce is brushed quite generously, not that I'm complaining.

IMG_7447
Meatball, sausage, and rice cake stick - $2.5

For the main course, obviously, it has to be the pork.

Unfortunately, the chilli sauce pork with rice doesn't quite hit the right spot. The pork slices are tender, but I need some salt and some more gochujang to liven it. However, it screams home cooking so it's still belly (and heart) warming for me.

IMG_7451
Chilli sauce pork with rice - $10

Now you know a good place for Korean street food/snack. Do share if you know even a better place!

Currency: $1 = IDR 9,500


Rating: 3/5 (Worth the try)
Really good ddeokbokki, other items are good too but some aren't freshly fried, price is really affordable, service is friendly, ambiance is OK.


UPDATE 17/09/2013: Mr Dduckbocki Miss Kkochi is closed, replaced by Buldogs.







Address:

MR DDUCKBOCKI MS KKOCHI

10A The Boulevarde 
Strathfield, NSW 2135

Mr Dduckbocki Miss Kkochi on Urbanspoon



Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. Strathfield is such an awesome place for korean snacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! so many options there!
      Thanks for dropping by, missklicious! :)

      Delete
  2. omg I used to come here most days after high school to get the smalle dduckbocki! now i still go to get the sticks of sausages and chicken fingers :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're addictive don't they? I wish I live near Starathfield like u! :D

      Delete
  3. Woah deep. fried. sushi?? that sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment here !
It's nice to have people around :)